January 14 – May 31, 2019
The newly created Peace Fund ~ Fondos por la Paz will support six projects in 2019. This fund gives grants to empower small, grassroots groups doing the work of peacemaking on a local or regional level.
1. AMEXTRA (Mexico) in providing on-going nonviolence education for children in marginalized communities.
2. CROSSING LINES AFRICA (Uganda) in offering training in conflict transformation and in trauma awareness and resilience for South Sudanese refugees.
3. PAN AFRICA PEACE NETWORK-BURUNDI (Burundi) in providing conflict transformation training for youth leaders and people living with albinism.
4. SEMINARIO BAUTISTA DE MÉXICO (Mexico) in leading peacemaking workshops in indigenous churches and in congregations in marginalized areas near Mexico City.
5. SEMINARIO INTERCULTURAL MAYENESE (Mexico) as they work with indigenous communities impacted by injurious government policies. Using the people’s own art (poetry, story, music, drawing, video, photography), they will help to empower them for collective resistance.
6. SEPAZ (Colombia) as they work with women who have encountered gender violence. The project offers economic empowerment along with psychological and spiritual support.
The staff and board of BPFNA ~ Bautistas por la Paz congratulate these recipients and look forward to hearing about the vital work each organization is doing to bring about peace and justice in their countries.