January 14 – May 31, 2019
The 2020 Summer Conference Coordinator will oversee the development, planning and implementation of the 2020 BPFNA ~ Bautistas por la Paz Summer Conference to be held July 2020. The tentative location is San Diego, California. Exact conference dates will be negotiated with the chosen site.
The Coordinator must have a commitment to the work of peace and justice, strongly grounded in progressive Baptist theology. S/he should have excellent written and verbal communication skills in Spanish and English, good organizational abilities including attention to detail and follow-through, self-motivation and the ability to take the initiative, and a willingness to learn new skills as needed. S/he should have excellent, demonstrated interpersonal skills.
We are seeking someone who can help us to center new voices, understand and honor our historical context, and negotiate the tensions and possibilities that arise from both.
The expectation is that the Coordinator will work approximately 10 hours a week with some fluctuations especially as the conference draws closer. This is a contract position hired by and responsible to the Executive Director. This position will also work with the Communications and Operations Manager and the Office Coordinator for various aspects of the work.
The work for this position can be done remotely.
In conjunction with the BPFNA~Bautistas por la Paz staff and the Gatherings Committee of the BPFNA~Bautistas por la Paz board of directors, the 2020 Summer Conference Coordinator will:
- Work with the Gatherings Committee of the board to refine and implement the chosen theme through the selection of speakers, workshops, and special events.
- Plan and oversee implementation for a full program for attendees of all ages.
- Attend Zoom planning meetings with the Gatherings Committee and staff.
- Serve as the liaison with the host site, which will include regular communication and one site visit.
- Negotiate and ensure compliance with a comprehensive contract with the host site.
- Work to encourage attendance.
- Ensure that the conference stays within the budget approved by the board.
- Work with the Office Coordinator to create a registration process that ensures compliance with conference center requirements and attends to the needs of attendees.
- Work with the Office Coordinator to make housing assignments and meal plans that work for both the host site and attendees.
- Work with other staff to create a brochure and registration form in Spanish and English.
- Work with other staff to create a schedule and program in Spanish and English.
- Work with other staff to create and administer a scholarship process.
- Create a transportation plan for all attendees.
- Work with other staff to create an evaluation form in Spanish and English.
- Ensure professional translation for all plenary sessions and implement a plan for volunteer translation of all other sessions.
- Create and follow a master calendar to insure the timely completion of all tasks.
- Communicate regularly with the BPFNA~Bautistas por la Paz staff and the Gatherings Committee throughout the process, including monthly written reports on work accomplished.
- Oversee the on-site running of the conference with the assistance of other staff and volunteers.
- Attend in person the conference assessment meeting held at the conclusion of the conference.
- Provide for a complete evaluation process for staff, leadership, and attendees before the end of the contract (July 31, 2020). This will include a full report of recommendations for the future and suggested revisions to the task list and planning calendar.
- Bachelor's degree required
- Demonstrated commitment to peace and justice work
- Grounding in progressive Baptist theology
- Willingness to affirm BPFNA~Bautistas por la Paz commitments to diversity
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work collaboratively with others across cultural and linguistic differences
- Excellent communication and verbal skills in English and Spanish
- Proficient in the use of technology (computer skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point), video conferencing applications (Zoom), social media (Facebook, WhatsApp, etc.)
- Ability to travel to the site for site visit
Preference will be given to candidates who are based in the region and/or who have deep familiarity with the justice issues made manifest on the US-Mexico border.
The contract will begin August 1, 2019 and end July 31, 2020. The total payment will be $10,400 USD, paid in monthly installments with the first payment to be made one month after the contract begins.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to Executive Director LeDayne McLeese Polaski via email [email protected] with the subject line “ [Your Name] SC 2020 Coordinator Application” no later than April 1, 2019. Applications can be made in English, Spanish or both. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.