January 14 – May 31, 2019
The Spanish Editor of Baptist Peacemaker has a commitment to the work of peace and justice, strongly grounded in progressive Baptist theology. S/he is a native Spanish speaker and has experience and/or training in generating Spanish content for a magazine or journal. S/he has strong skills in both writing and editing the writing of others. S/he has a good understanding of the values of BPFNA ~ Bautistas por la Paz and what would be newsworthy and helpful for a Baptist readership throughout North America (Puerto Rico, Mexico, US and Canada). S/he is attentive to the contexts and needs of various Baptist communities and finds or creates content that is relevant, accurate, thoughtful and compelling for those communities. The Spanish Editor demonstrates a strong commitment to centering underrepresented voices in our organization and to promoting – via the Baptist Peacemaker – the diversity and representation of our Spanish-speaking communities in North America and around the world.
The Spanish Editor is responsible for working with the English Editor to produce 4 issues of Baptist Peacemaker each year, following a schedule developed with the English Editor and approved by the Executive Director. S/he performs this work in his/her own office on his/her Mac or Mac-compatible computer using InDesign software. Fluency in speaking, writing and proofreading Spanish is a necessity. Fluency in speaking, writing and proofreading English would be a strong asset.
This work for this position can be done remotely.
This is a contract, part-time position hired by the Executive Director and supervised by the Communications and Operations Manager. The Executive Director retains authority to make final decisions regarding the use of material. We expect each issue to take approximately 100 work hours to complete. As long as agreed-upon deadlines are met, the Editor may work on his/her own schedule.
- Working with other staff to create an annual schedule for the magazine
- Researching, editing, compiling or writing 10 pages of Spanish content plus either the front or back cover for each of four quarterly issues
- Working with the English editor to produce 10 pages of shared content for each of four quarterly issues
- Ensuring that the magazine represents a wide array of voices, perspectives and contexts and equips people, churches, and grassroots groups to do the work of peacemaking.
- Working with other staff to expand Spanish readership
- Attending a quarterly electronic meeting for all BPFNA ~ Bautistas por la Paz staff and other planning meetings as needed
- Bachelor's degree required
- Native Spanish speaker
- Experience working on a Spanish-language magazine or journal
- Demonstrated commitment to peace and justice work
- Strong skills in both writing and editing the writing of others
- Grounding in progressive Baptist theology and in local church life
- Willingness to affirm BPFNA ~ Bautistas por la Paz commitments to diversity
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work collaboratively with others across cultural and linguistic differences
- Excellent communication and verbal skills
- Proficient in the use of technology (computer skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point), video conferencing applications (Zoom), social media (Facebook, WhatsApp, etc.)
- Fluency in speaking, writing and proofreading Spanish is a necessity.
- Fluency in speaking, writing and proofreading English would be a strong asset.
- Training and/or experience in journalism or communications would be an asset.
$2,000 USD per completed issue
Please send your resume, a cover letter, and a brief Spanish writing sample (500 words or less) to [email protected] Applications can be in Spanish, English, or both. Please make the subject line your name and Spanish Editor Application. Applications will be received until March 17 or until the position is filled, whichever comes first. The target start date is April 15, 2019.