November 6, 2019 | Read more »
A 152-year-old institution with a creative, progressive, compassionate, welcoming and affirming congregation.
- Coordinate, facilitate, and nurture the varied musical programs of the church (adult & children’s choirs, handbells, ukuleles, etc.)
- Lead the Chancel Choir and Worship Team, including vocalists and instrumentalists, in rehearsal and in worship
- Collaborate with staff and volunteers in planning, promoting, and helping lead worship
- Coordinate musical performances from the congregation and community for offertories and special music events
- Develop and help implement strategy for increasing participation in all aspects of the church music program
- Create special holiday events and other musical offerings as community outreach, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music (Master’s Degree in Music or Master of Fine Arts, a plus)
- Relevant successful experience
- Active listener, team player, and experience in leading people
- Ability to serve as a mentor, coach, and director to aid and inspire musical participation
- Experience with and enthusiasm for a variety of styles, that range from classical to praise, to folk, to jazz
- Energy, versatility, ambition, and empathy are prized
- Performance ability valued
This is a half-time position with pro-rated leave benefits: vacation, sick, and holiday pay. Competitive salary based on experience and education. The successful applicant will have the ability to pass a 7 year background check.
There are approximately 180 active members who center around this mission statement: Together, we respond to the call of the Spirit and the teachings of Jesus to learn, love, serve, and seek justice and joy for all. First Baptist is part of the American Baptist Churches (USA) through association with the American Baptist Churches of the Central Pacific Coast. We are also a member of the Association of Welcoming and Affirming Baptists and the Baptist Peace Fellowship of North America. We believe music is essential in fostering community. The congregation has a range of deeply felt musical tastes and an appreciation for a variety of musical styles, many of which are used to create a shared experience of communal worship. We have a pool of talented musicians and encourage members to share their talents to make worship both eclectic and organic to who we are. The Director of Music Ministry will join a collegial team of staff and volunteers who plan and lead worship. Our facility features a 350-seat sanctuary with good acoustics, a grand piano, a pipe organ, and a professional sound system. There is a broad music library, a practice room, and a variety of instruments.
McMinnville is located one hour southwest of Portland and an hour east of the Pacific Ocean Beaches. It’s in the Willamette Valley where there is a growing wine industry and many attractions for tourists. There are 35,000 people here, and the public school system was recently judged to be one of the best in the state. Linfield College, a residential liberal arts institution, provides many cultural opportunities for residents, and a branch of Chemeketa Community College provides a variety of credit and non-credit courses. There is a thriving and appealing downtown with varied shops and restaurants for tourists and locals alike. Willamette Valley Medical offers a range of diverse and certified services. And the News-Register is the local newspaper that lists sources of music, art and other cultural and recreational opportunities weekly.
To learn more about the Church, its people and its passions, visit the website at www.fbcmac.org, the Instagram page @fbcmac, and the Facebook page at FBC McMinnville, Oregon. To learn more about the McMinnville community, check out www.visitmcminnville.com and www.mcminnvilleoregon.gov.
HOW TO APPLY:
To be considered for this position, please send a one-page cover letter and a resumé to [email protected] or to Director of Music Ministry Search Team, First Baptist Church, 125 SE Cowls Street, McMinnville, OR 97128. First review of applications will begin November 10, 2019. All complete applications will be acknowledged.