December 12, 2018 | Read more »
BPFNA ~ Bautistas por la Paz has compiled some resources to help churches celebrate the coming Dr. Martin Luther King Jr weekend in ways that honor and move forward his unfinished agenda. All of these resources are shared freely -- we ask only that you attribute them in print to each author or group.
We hope you find these helpful, and we would love to hear how you use them.
If you have resources to share, we would LOVE to see and share them.
--LeDayne, Executive Director
Bulletin Inserts • Hymns • Litanies • Liturgies • Photos • Prayers • Sermons • Recursos en español • Toolkits & Study Guides • Additional Resources
- Faithful Witness: The Testimony of Scripture and of Martin Luther King, Jr -- A bulletin insert produced by BPFNA ~ Bautistas por la Paz.
The following are from the hymnal Earth Transformed with Music! Inclusive Songs for Worship (Eakin Press, 2015) by Jann Aldredge-Clanton, which you can order through Amazon.com or through Jann Aldredge-Clanton's website.
- Follow Her Peaceful Ways
- Longing to be Free at Last
- We Long for Change
- We Work for Racial Justice Now
- A Litany for Forgiveness for Prejudice -- An excellent litany based on excerpts from the writing of Howard Thurman.
- We Too Have a Dream -- Litany from BPFNA Founding Director Ken Sehested that celebrates the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Worship from Dr. King's Unfinished Agenda in Montreat -- Planned and assembled by Dr. Rhashell Hunter, director of Racial Ethnic and Women’s Ministries for the Presbyterian Church (USA).
- A Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Litany for the Poor People’s Campaign – By Rev. Dr. Katharine R. Henderson, president of Auburn Seminary
- PowerPoint of Dr. King photos -- Compiled by Rev. Steve Gretz, Greece Baptist Church of Rochester, NY
- Martin Luther King Day Prayer -- from Rev. LeDayne McLeese Polaski
- An Affirmation of Faith Based on the Writings of Dr. King -- From The United Presbyterian Church
- Prayer for Our Prophets -- From Rev. Mindi Welton-Mitchell
- That We May Love Our Neighbors as Ourselves -- From E. Glenn Hinson
- We Are Here -- From E. Glenn Hinson
- Dreaming God's Dream: Celebrating the Life & Legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr. -- A reflection from BPFNA's Founding Director Ken Sehested on remembering less-heralded workers for civil rights.
- On Love and Despair -- A sermon preached by Rev. Cody J. Sanders at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Davis, CA on January 18, 2015.
- Rev. Dr. William J. Barber, II, honoring the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr -- Rev. Dr. William J. Barber, II, honoring the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr’s commitment to social justice and civil liberty, and call on people in every state to enlist in the Poor People's Campaign: A National Call For Moral Revival. Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church, New York City (Jan 14, 2018).
- "Porqué no podemos esperar”, MLK - Dr. Luis G. Collazo
- Transcripción: Carta desde la Cárcel de Birmingham
- Transcripción: Tengo Un Sueño -- Discurso durante la Marcha a Washington por Trabajos y por la Libertad: 28 Agosto 1963, Washington, D.C.
- Study Guides from New Baptist Covenant
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Day and Black History Month Resources -- From the Alliance of Baptists
- Making Dr. King's Vision Work -- A presentation by Hon. Wendell Griffen at Henderson State University, Arkadelphia, Arkansas; January 18, 2016.
- Pamphlet: Martin Luther King and the Montgomery Story -- The comic book about Dr. King, Rosa Parks, and the courageous nonviolent activists in Montgomery, Alabama was published in 1958 by the Fellowship of Reconciliation, shortly after the Montgomery Bus Boycott concluded.
- Seeing Beyond the Dream Speech: Recovering Martin Luther King’s Vision of the World House -- by Dr. Gary Percesepe
- Black Lives Matter resources -- We have spent the past year gathering the best of materials we've seen related to the Black Lives Matter movement.