August 19, 2019 | Read more »
Our Peace and Justice calendar lists events from across North America. We feature events and opportunities offered specifically from the BPFNA, as well as those from our Partner Congregations as well as affiliated groups and individuals.
Mini Peace Camp
Greece Baptist Church • Rochester, NY USA
October 18-29, 2019
Come meet fellow peacemakers, hear some amazing speakers and musicians, and get a feel of what the larger conference experience is like.
All are welcome! We hope to see you there!
Confirmed speakers include:
- Ray Schellinger, ABC International Ministries global consultant for Immigrants and Refugees
- Dr. Angela Sims, new president of Colgate Rochester Crozer
- Paul Hayes, pastor of Noank Baptist Church, Noank, CT
- Reggie Harris, musician
National Vigil for Victims of Gun Violence
St. Mark’s Episcopal Church • Washington, DC
December 4, 2019 • 7 PM
Seven years ago, in December 2012, a gunman murdered 26 children and adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. Every December since that horrific tragedy, concerned people have gathered to honor and remember all victims of gun violence and to support families impacted by gun violence.
You can join others in this annual commemoration in one of two ways:
- Come to Washington DC and participate in the national interfaith vigil for gun violence victims, to be held at St. Mark’s Episcopal Church on Capitol Hill, on Wednesday, December 4, at 7:00 p.m.
- Participate in a similar interfaith vigil in your own community. If nothing is planned for your area, consider organizing one and hosting something at your church, preferably in the first half of December.
In the seven years since the Sandy Hook massacre, little has changed in either law or culture in the US, and about a quarter of a million people have died in that time. Peacemakers must continue putting energy into events that keep the gun violence epidemic front and center and that engage more Americans in the search for solutions.
(Thanks to Bob Tiller for sharing this information with us.)
Newtown Action Alliance